What is the cause for stabbing pain on the right side of my face while taking amox for tooth removal?

I am experiencing sharp, stabbing pain on the right side of my face. Jaw to top of forehead. Pain will last several min.s and then just to a dull ach. I am currently on Amox as a second round of antibiotics. I had a tooth removed 3 weeks ago on the other side of mouth.
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possibility of trigeminal neuralgia Detailed Answer: Hello, In case like yours I would generally like to rule out possibility of trigeminal nerve neuraligia. Area of pain and not responding to antibiotics makes me think of this. Since you have already taken second course of antibiotics and tooth from other side was removed I would put possibility of infection on second place.Again of infection should not vary and should be continous unlike your pain. Ideally a steps in your case would be clinical evaluation by ENT doctor, if he/she rules out infection completely.Even ENT doctor can arise possibility of trigeminal neuralgia.Then see a neurologist if there is no ENT cause. Mean while take oral painkillers for the pain. Hope this answers your question.Please ask your doubts if any.Regards