What is the cause for sore breast and underarm?

General Surgeon
I have a sore left breast and underarm. I have tingling and numbness in my left arm. I have had a mammogram and an ultra sound and there are no lumps. I have had antibiotics and the breast remains the same. I have had the condition for 3 weeks, during which time I have lost 4 kilos (7% of my body weight) without trying to lose weight.
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: to rule out hyperthyroidism Detailed Answer: Namaste Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Soreness or vague pain could be due to fibroadenosis, which causes such symptoms. You need not worry if the following criteria are fulfilled 1. No palpable lump or Radiological abnormality(in your case you need not worry ) 2. No nipple discharge 3. No asymmetry of breast and both nipple at same level. 4. No axillary lymph nodes. Coming to your issue of weight loss 1. Could be related to stress or anxiety about breast lesion. 2. Endocrine abnormalities like Hyperthyroidism to be ruled- it is known to cause weight loss without loss of appetite 3. Infective focus - I could consider Tuberculosis as the cause (incidence would depend on geographical location) Would suggest you to get the following done 1. Chest X-ray 2. Complete blood count 3. Thyroid profile If the above investigation are normal then there is no cause for concern. If it's fibroadenosis, it does respond to Evening Primrose oil. I hope it helped Do get back to me if you need any further assistance will be glad to assist you. Wishing you a happy and healthy life Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS,MCh Consultant Surgeon