What is the cause for severe pain in scar area after gall bladder surgery?

I had gallbladder surgrery2 yrs ago, Since then about once a month I have severe pain in the area of the scar. This lasts about 8 hours and includes vomiting. I haave had eevery test available and no diagnosis or relief.Any ideas? This always occurs in middle of the night any suggestions would be appreciated.The only medication I take are diltazem and warfarin.
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Neuropathic pain? Detailed Answer: Dear Ms XXXXXXX Thanks for the query. From my experience, I have had patients develop post surgical pain at the site of a scar, related to nerves that are transected or severed as a necessary consequence of the surgical procedure. In these cases, the pain may be arising from damaged nerve fibers and thus is called neuropathic. in such circumstances, patients may benefit from specific medications that block neuropathic pain, such as pregabalin, gabapentin or amytriptiline. Some patients also respond to accupunture to regulate local nerve damage. I hope you can explore this options with your physicians if you have not already. Hope that is helpful, wish you the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN