What is the cause for severe anorectal spasms following a bowel movement while suffering from thrombosed hemorrhoid?

General Surgeon
HI....I had a severely thrombosed hemorrhoid 6 weeks ago. After a couple weeks of extreme pain, and just before I went to see my doc, it burst spontaneously. He confirmed the rupture and Rx's proctofoam, sitz baths and diet change. Since then, its been a long healing road. I've changed my eating habits and now, finally, i have normal soft formed stools and no pain during defecation. Afterwards, though, I seem to have severe ano-rectal spasms for a couple of hours following a BM. As the day goes on, things improve and by evening, even the ext hemorrhoid appears to have reduced in swelling. I am doing everything right. I went back to the doc this week and he double checked that I have no clot recurrence. He did say that the residual hemorrhoid looked very raw which he stated would be expected following this ordeal. I am an experienced RN so I imagine all the most horrible things possible. Colonoscopy 4-5 years ago showed great...exc internal hemorrhoids. My question is this: can I expect to feel some rectal pressure following a BM for a while longer? And since this is not a body part you can rest, can I expect the healing to be slow?
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. First of all you need to know that the visible hemorrhoid you have is not only one. Most o hemorrhoids are invisible and inside the rectum. There is no way to heal hemorrhoids with medicines or sitz baths. This can make hemorrhoids smaller and help with the symptoms, but it wont make hemorrhoids to disappear. The pressure in the rectum is most likely a symptom of hemorrhoids. You can not expect that some long lasting healing is present in this area. Intestines including rectum is covered with mucosa, very special tissue which heals in few days. So if your stools are soft, that is all you can do for good healing environment. I suggest you to visit proctologist, have rectoscopy and consider surgery. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: What is the cause for severe anorectal spasms following a bowel movement while suffering from thrombosed hemorrhoid? 47 minutes later
Thanks so much. That helps very much. Have a great day. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: You are welcome. Get well soon.