What is the cause for red dots on penis head?

I am currently having some red dots on my penis 'head'. the last time I had sex was about a month ago and I just noticed these dots appearing few days ago in the shower. it doesn't look like normal dots as it looks like a small lump. I tried keeping it dry throughout the night and today it started to peel white stuff that was around the lump. It does not hurt or itch or anything like that. but it looks scary and its freaking me out. what could it be?
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Appears to be Balanopothitis Detailed Answer: Namsthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day From the clinical pictures provided by you and your description the roundish lesion and redness at base of glans are likely to be due to Balanoposthitis that is inflammation of glans. It usually happens due to irritation by the whitish smegma normally secreted by the coronal glands from the glans. I would suggest you the following which will definitely help 1. Hot Seitz bath--- Add a handful of common salt in a small tub of water and sit in it for 15-- 20 minutes and also clean off any whitish secretion. Do it atleast twice a day 2. Local Steroid cream application----- Clean off and wipe off the area clean and dry , following which apply local Steroid Ointment Like Betamethasone The lesion should start subsiding after 2-- 3 of Ointment application. Wishing you a happy and healthy life Do take care Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS MD
Follow-up: What is the cause for red dots on penis head? 53 minutes later
oh phew thanks that's a relief. Am I still able to have sex within this period? Does it spread? And what are the ways I can do to prevent this from happening in future?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: not advisable to have sex Detailed Answer: Namaste Greetings It's not advisable to have sex till the lesion are cured, as friction associated during coitus can lead to increase in inflammation. It may also predispose to infection in your partner. Prevention is by maintaining good hygiene, cleaning the white secretion. I hope it helped Take care Do get back to me if you have any other query Take care Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS MD
Follow-up: What is the cause for red dots on penis head? 19 hours later
hi, so I've applied some anti fungal cream last night and the red dots seemed to be appeared slightly smaller, and the 'lumps' have became lower. it's a good thing and all but, when I wrote this to you in the first place I also wrote about this problem to another doctor on another site and he replied that it was herpes?? he claimed it does not look like fungal infection in the pictures. so I'm getting quite confused and worried. can you just please double check if its really Balanopothitis and not herpes?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: unlikely to be herpes Detailed Answer: Greetings Herpes lesion are usually fluid filled vesicles which are extremely painful. They will not respond to antifungal mediation. Herpes being viral lesion will never respond to antifungal agent. Rest be assured things can be.taken care off Take care Regards DR T Shobha