What is the cause for pink bumps that appear and get inflamed ?

I had a bump on my inner thigh that was there for I would say at least six months before becoming inflamed. It was skin color then turned bright pink. I went to a dermatologist and he removed it. After the test came back he said that it was some sort of viral thing. I cannot remember the exact terms used. It was not an open sore nor did it hurt or itch. It has been another six months and it has not returned. I had another bump that looked just like it on my groin it got inflamed the same way and then just went away no scar, nothing. What might this be and do I have to worry about it anymore?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 44 minutes later

From the symptoms and the reports that the bumps on inner thigh are caused by a viral infection, it can be due to:

1)     Molluscum contagiosum: It presents as small, dome-shaped papules, often with a central depression or plug and are contagious. It has to be removed by a dermatologist by various treatment methods like physical destruction or manual extrusion of the lesions, cryotherapy, and curettage.

2)     Viral warts caused by human papilloma virus. Warts are tumours or growths of the skin caused by infection with Human Papillomavirus (HPV).They are contagious when in contact with the skin of an infected person.

3)     Third and last possibility although less likely from your symptoms is of herpes sores. They appear as one or more painful blisters. The blisters break, leaving tender ulcers (sores) that may take two to four weeks to heal.

The virus causing genital warts and herpes may remain dormant in the body and may be passed on during sex or when the body is under stress like infections or illness. Molluscum has a chance for recurrence. Hence you should get the diagnosis confirmed from a dermatologist so that suitable antivirals can be taken the next time when you have it.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.