What is the cause for pinched nerve in back, nausea, headache and stiffness in neck?

Question
pinched nerve in my back by left shoulder, low grade fever for a week, pulse 104, nausea when think about food, chills if I don't take Tylenol, small headache and slight stiffness in the neck
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: ?? General symptoms resembling a viral infection Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Sir, I have gone through your symptoms and they unfortunately indicate a possible infection or systemic condition. Based on your symptoms, which are quite general we can suspect viral infections, but a local doctor would be more acquainted with the local viral infections. Especially your symptoms of nerve trouble and stiffness in your neck point towards this. I would recommend a complete blood profile, urine examination and a consultation with a local doctor. I would also encourage this even more if you have your medical insurance. It is best not to delay this sir. Tylenol will only help control your temperature and chills, and is only symptomatic treatment, and does not target the main cause/condition. But you can continue with the tylenol as it is mild, and should provide you with temporary relief from a few of your symptoms. Sir, could you tell me if you have a history of recent travel (especially to forest like regions, areas with water bodies, etc.), any urinary system symptoms (eg. frequent urination, burning sensation while urinating, etc.), or any other symptoms worth mentioning? I look forward to your response and also hope you can schedule a visit to the hospital/clinic soon in order to get the required investigations done. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.

Follow-up: What is the cause for pinched nerve in back, nausea, headache and stiffness in neck? 5 hours later
Sir, could you tell me if you have a history of recent travel (especially to forest like regions, areas with water bodies, etc.), any urinary system symptoms (eg. frequent urination, burning sensation while urinating, etc.), or any other symptoms worth mentioning? No travel outside the state, stools have been unusually hard, did have ongoing canker sores for three months but lysine abd probiotics have caused them to subside. Assisted living where my Aunt just passed away Christmas eve now has a stomach virus quarantine. I don't have diarrhea. Could my pinched nerve be connected to my stomach causing the nausea and chest pain? Can herniated disc produce a low-grade fever? I can hear my heartbeat pulsating in my ears as I sit. as this morning's Tylenol is wearing off. I'm going to take a hot shower now. That brings me some relief. Thanks for your advice. XXXXXXX
Follow-up: What is the cause for pinched nerve in back, nausea, headache and stiffness in neck? 7 hours later
I did go up to Highlands NC, and walked behind the Dry Falls It doesn't live up to its name. I breathed in the mist from the falls and got dripped on. Symptoms started the next day and persist until now. Shivering as Tylenol wears off. Thanks,

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 9 hours later
Brief Answer: All queries addressed sir Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir. First of all, my sincere apologies for the delay as I was experiencing some trouble with my internet connection. And secondly, thank you so much for the information sir. As for your first query, the answer would be yes. It is possible for an irritation in the gastrointestinal tract (GIT) to cause symptoms like a pinched nerve and all the other symptoms described, as they can all be related to a gastrointestinal condition (for example the stomach bug). No sir, a herniated disc cannot usually produce symptoms of temperature/fever. A hot shower would be beneficial in your case, especially if you seem to have either a viral infection or if all your symptoms are due to a stomach bug. The history of travel and sudden presentation of symptoms the very next day is also an important hint. I would still recommend the same thing I have been suspecting from the very beginning, i.e. visiting a local doctor who would be well acquainted with the kind of viral and bacterial (causing the stomach bug) infections that are prevalent in the region. It would also be wise to initiate a course of antibiotics at the same time and watch your response. I hope you find my response helpful sir. In the meantime, please initiate probiotics of any kind that you may find over-the-counter in a pharmacy or even yogurt like products that are natural probiotics to help expel the gastric content causing irritation. Please do consider finding time to visit a doctor in your vicinity. Best wishes.