What is the cause for painful earache in children?

General Surgeon
my 14-year old has a very painful earache - our provider is closed. ANY IDEAS!!??
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Rule out foreign body, wax, insect Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to healthcare-magic Greetings of the day I would suggest the following probability as the cause of pain in your daughter and will also guide you to some extent to find out yourself what it could be( There is no substitute for good clinical examination by an experienced Surgeon) 1. furuncle or boil over the pinna or the external auditory canal(the tunnel of ear): Use a pen torch to see for any pin point area of redness/swelling/erythema at the pinna of ear; also look at the back and in front of the pinna. 2.Pull the ear(pinna) upwards and outwards as if pulling it away from the head, visualize the canal by pen torch and look inside it for any possible boil, furuncle, redness or impacted wax , or any insect or foreign matter in it. Also look for any purulent discharge from the canal. 3. There could also be referred pain in the ear especially if there is respiratory tract infection If there is no associated discharge its likely that the ear drum(tympanic membrane is intact) and it is a good sign. Having done this , and if you happen to find anything significant do let me know. in the meantime empirically i could suggest you the following which could help many of the causes and its unlikely to go harm 1. Instillation of ear drops containing Ciprofloxacin and steroid like Betamethasone 3-4 drops every 4 hourly will be beneficial 2. Analgesic like Ibuprofen will provide symptomatic relief Do rule out presence of wax, insect and foreign body. It may be difficult in your case as you are not experienced. following the advise of drops will definitely help even in these cases. In case you need any further assistance, do get back to me, will be glad to assist you. Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak K K MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Surgeon