What is the cause for pain under rib cage and why am I having radiating pain in front while coughing?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
For the last week I've had a pain in my back on the right hand side just under my rib cage it has moved to also include tenderness in the right gad side and when I cough causes pain radiating to the front. I'm a 51 year old male reasonably fit . I will go for check up tomorrow as it has not improved over the week.
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Needs exaination to find cause. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The pain that you have described can be due to- musculoskeletal inflammation - This can be diagnosed if the pain increases on specific movements or on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week. ‎ Pneumonitis Or Pleuritis : Here the pain increases on deep breaths and coughing and is associated with symptoms like cough, expectoration of mucus or purulent sputum, etc. Renal cause: This condition too presents with the similar symptoms as described by you and usually subsides after taking antispasodic drugs. It is important to rule out the exact cause after physical examination and investigations. Hence, please see your Primary Doctor for complete examination and the treatment would follow according. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL