What is the cause for pain on face, jaw joint, behind ear and headache?

ENT Specialist
I am having pain on the right side of my face, including my jaw joint, in front of ear and behind my ear. I am also getting headaches and am tired and achy by 5 everyday. Do you think this is a tooth issue or a tmj issue?
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hisotry favors sinusitis Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. A tooth related problem is usually associated with a history of bad tooth on that side. Also there should be active infection/pain in that tooth which is usually suspected for the pain in face and adjoining areas. TMJ problem is usually associated with a past history of trauma to the face/jaw or generalized body joint problems. There will also be a pain full TMJ region on jaw movements, or clicking sound in the TMJ region. Some trismus can also be associated with it. Your problem can also be associated with sinusitis and as you are giving history of generalized symptoms, the possibility of sinus infection can be ther. Please consult an ENT and there may be a need to go for Xray PNS waters' view and also Xray TMJ both in open and closed mouth. Feel free to ask another query. Regards