What is the cause for pain and discomfort in back side of head?

Jun 2015

For the past 2 days i am having slight pain near to the left side of my is to the left and backside of the head.I not having any serious pain but slight discomfort is there.I am really worried whatit might be.I am not having this pain continously also for sometime it is there and for sometime it will not be there.......I have no vomitings.So can you please help me on this.
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly provide few more details Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Regarding your symptoms, kindly let us know about the following: 1. Any recent history of acute illness? 2. Does the headache increases in severity during morning or evening hours? 3. Is it associated with sensation of giddiness or loss of balance or radiation to neck and shoulders? 4. Any past history of Hypertension, Diabetes or Thyroid disorder, etc.? 5. Any recent incidence of stress, head injury, inadequate hydration & nutrition? 6. Any association with food intake, sleep disturbance or head movement? 7. Habit of smoking or alcohol consumption? 8. Similar symptoms can also be caused due to different refractive powers in both the eyes. Did you get your refractive power tested? A knowledge of the above mentioned facts will be helpful for us to make a better diagnosis & formulate an appropriate management plan. Though symptomatic relief can be obtained with analgesics, their regular use is not advised owing to unwanted side effects. And unless the underlying cause is treated, the symptom will keep recurring. Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care.
Follow-up: What is the cause for pain and discomfort in back side of head? 5 minutes later
Hi, Please find the below response.. 1)i have cold thats it other than that nothing 2)not increase in severity but i have a slight pain at sometimes and sometimes not that much(Very little pain). 3)NO 4)NO 5)No 6)Not sure.. 7)NO 8)NO
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 36 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly view the details Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your follow up query. 1. Headache along with history of cold can be attributed to Sinusitis. Investigations like complete blood count & X-ray of paranasal sinus will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis. In such a case, you need to take a course of antibiotics. 2. Since you do not have any other associated symptoms & there is no change in severity, it can be attributed to either Stress or dietary deficiency of certain essential nutrients which are responsible for blood formation & nerve conduction. Symptomatic relief can be obtained by intake of nervigenic agents (like Vitamin B6, Vitamin B 12, Folic acid) as well as multivitamin & multimineral supplements including iron, calcium & Vit D needs to be added in your diet. 3. As I have previously mentioned, similar symptoms can also be caused due to different refractive powers in both the eyes. So, kindly get your refractive power tested. If you still find any difficulty, kindly get certain investigations like estimation of blood pressure & blood sugar levels and Thyroid profile to rule out any pathological cause for the symptoms. A CT scan or MRI of brain will also be helpful. Till then, maintain adequate hydration & nutrition status, avoid stress, exercise regularly & practice meditation. Wishing you a Good Health. Please let me know if I need to clarify further. Take care.
Follow-up: What is the cause for pain and discomfort in back side of head? 31 hours later
Hi Polash, today em experiencing paint above my left ear to the back of head as i told it is not severe but some kind of a pain which i cannt explain...It is really worryiing me... Do you think it is a kind of serious thing which i need to worry :(????
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 28 hours later
Brief Answer: Nothing serious to worry Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Please do not get concerned. The more you worry, it will add to the stress & may aggravate the symptoms. Kindly follow the measures as advised in my previous answer & get the investigations done. Do not be scared, there are 90% of headache which have no issue with any kind of brain problems but for the sake of safety and piece of mind, an MRI / CT scan might be need. If there is any significant finding, it can be subsequently managed. There is nothing to worry, you are fine. Wishing you a Good Health. Take care.