What is the cause for numbness in thumb?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, My name is XXXXXXX .. and I've had numbness in my thumb for a week now... It came out of nowhere
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to numbness Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us, I have read your query Numbness in your thumb can be due to carpal tunnel syndrome in which there is compression of nerve at wrist may be due to edema. You can consult your doctor to rule out it. If you were my patient then after clinical examination if required I would have advised EMG and MRI wrist. Vitamin B12 is important in the maintenance of health and normal functioning of the nerve tissue and deficiency of it can lead to numbness. You can increase B12 level by taking meat and fish, or you can take Inj methylcobalamine 1500 mcg alternate day. [6 doses] I hope that I have answered your query. Let me know if I can help you further. Take care