What is the cause for numb legs?

Dec 2012

Why is it sometimes my leg goes knumb like part of my leg falls asleep long as I like moving it it is good
Posted Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Probably due to temporary nerve damage Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX I am glad to be able to assist with your health problem. Numbness is often caused by damage, irritation or compression of a single or several branches of nerves, most often located peripherally. Some diseases affecting the peripheral nerves, such as diabetes, also can cause numbness. Rarely, numbness can be caused by problems in your brain or spinal cord.Leg numbness is an abnormal condition in which you feel a loss of sensation in the legs. You can have numbness of one (unilateral) or both (bilateral leg numbness) legs. Numbness in the legs may also extend to your toes. Numbness can also due to lack of proper blood supply to an area. Most cases of leg numbness are not due to life-threatening disorders, but it does occur with stroke and tumors. Depending on what caused it, the numbness can disappear quickly such as compression of the buttocks or other leg part by sitting in bad position for long. Chronic leg numbness could show that there is a degree of nerve damage that warrants investigation by a physician. So, if you had been experiencing this for a long now, it will be best if you booked an appointment with a neurologist who can run specific investigations to determine the cause so that you can receive treatment in due time. Hope this helps and wish you a better health. Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: What is the cause for numb legs? 5 hours later
first it started and only got knumb when i was sitting and reclining back now today i ws standing in one spot for awhile and it felt part knumb would nerve damage cause needle senation in leg
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later
Brief Answer: It might be onset of peripheral neuropathy Detailed Answer: Hello, thanks for the update, If you are having associated pin and needle's sensation in the leg, then you might be suffering from onset of peripheral neuropathy which could be as a result of one of the numerous causes of neuropathy such as diabetes, vitamin B12 deficiency, guillain-barre syndrome, multiple sclerosis (initial onset) etc. We can not know for sure the exact cause unless you visit a medical facility. As I also mentioned, it is also possible for poor circulation of blood to the given area which can occur when sitting or standing. Compression of blood vessels or nerve can cause this. By nerve damage, I do not mean necessarily that a nerve has been destroyed, but that it could have been affected by either pressure, injury, poor blood flow, infection etc. Given your age (until you are examined), it is best if a doctor is looking at a broader picture of the possible causes, if not the real cause can be missed. I suggest you also see a neurologist for proper medical assistance. Hope this helps further Dr. Nsah