What is the cause for lump under armpit and why am I experiencing delay in periods even after stopping contraceptive pills?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I have a lump under my left armpit which is blue due to the spread of veins covering it. I have had it for about 5 years, and thought it might just be a cyst. It is not painful. I have recently noticed that there is a second lump developing next to it, which is smaller in size. I also have a lump in my neck on the right side, just beside the top of the trachea. I have lost about 8 kilograms in the past 2 months (from 52 kilograms to 44), but I think that may be associated with the fact that I recently stopped taking the contraceptive pill. I am trying to put on weight but find it very difficult to eat, as I get full very quickly. I have also not had my period for the 2 months after stopping the contraceptive pill. I have undertaken 3 pregnancy tests in the past week and each result was negative. Before beginning the contraceptive pill my periods were irregular, coming every 3-6 months or so. I also have a fine hand tremor, which is obvious when I am trying to complete fine motor skills. Often people comment on it, and it is becoming a bit irritating. I meant to say that the lump under my armpit is on the right side
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Lymph node swelling or cyst Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to health care magic. I have gone through your query and I want to elaborate on common causes of swelling under the arm pit and investigations required for it. Swelling under the armpit most commonly occurs due to the following reasons: 1. Lymph node swelling 2. Cyst 3. Infection of skin of armpit due to shaving injury or use of deodorants 4. Abscess formation As you have had the swelling for 5 years it gives suspicion of either a cyst or lymph node swelling. Cysts are formed due to injury to skin while shaving or using harsh deodorants. This causes clogging of the sebaceous glands present in the arm pit and will cause small cysts in the skin. These are usually painless and soft to touch. They usually do not require any treatment unless they get painful and then they need to be drained. Lymph nodes are glands that drain lymph through out the body and are present in different sites of the body. A group of lymph nodes drain a particular site in the body so swelling of lymph nodes in a site indicates either infection or tumor in the site they are draining. Swelling of nodes in the neck indicate infection in ear nose and throat region. Have you had any recent infections of the throat and upper respiratory system? That could explain the lump in the neck. Swollen lymph nodes in the armpit indicates either infection in breast and chest region as they drain that region. Lymph node swelling in the armpit needs to be investigated further by thorough examination of the breast and chest region for any lumps. I suggest you get in touch with a GP nearby you for detailed breast examination. I would also suggest you get an FNAC done of the swelling in the armpit to rule out any pathology. I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily. Please get back for clarifications if any. Thanks.
Follow-up: What is the cause for lump under armpit and why am I experiencing delay in periods even after stopping contraceptive pills? 9 minutes later
I haven't had any recent infections that I know of, however I have a fairly persistent cough which is productive. The sputum produced is usually clear or white, never green or yellow. I've had the cough since I was about 15 years old. I do not smoke. Could that be an infection that perhaps hasn't resolved? The lumps under my armpit are hard to touch and are painless.
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Lymph nodes, Respiraory system need to be examined Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. If the lumps are hard to touch then they are definitely lymph nodes as these are usually firm when palpated. As I have told you in my previous reply, they swell up if there is any infection in the area that they drain. These lymph nodes sometimes do not resolve back and can remain for life. Such nodes are painless and do not cause any symptoms and are not worrisome. These become significant only when they become hard, matted (meaning two to three together), increase in size suddenly, become painful and become immobile. Persistent cough needs to be investigated whether it is allergic or infective. I suggest you undergo a sputum microscopy (for acid fast bacilli) and culture to rule out any long standing infection of the lower respiratory tract. A chest X ray is also necessary to delineate any lung pathology. I suggest you get in touch with a GP nearby you to get a detailed examination of breast region for any lumps, armpit swelling, and the respiratory system. Please discuss the above suggested investigations with him and he will guide you which ones to be done when. I hope I have cleared all your doubts. Please let me know if I can assist you further. Thanks.