What is the cause for lump outside my anus?

Dec 2013

I found a lump outside of my anus and I am concerned. There is no bleeding or itching or pain. What can this be?
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly send details with picture Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I can understand your concern towards lump outside your anus. Before I can answer your concern can you please take pains in letting me know certain important information regarding the incidence: 1. Since how long you have ump outside your anus. 2. Is it very near to the anus or away form the anal ring. 3. Is it skin colored or red or bluish. 4. Is it soft or firm in consistency. 5. What is the size of lump- smaller/larger than tip of little finger or even more than that. 6. Is it hanging appearance with small base or firmly attached with broad base. It would be best to send few good resolution pictures of the area so that it can be analyzed best. You have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia). "Wish you good health" with regards, Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia (MD - Dermatology)
Follow-up: What is the cause for lump outside my anus? 23 minutes later
I have the lump for a month. It is firm and right outside the anus. It is skin color and round and not too big.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Skin tag erupting outside the anal opening Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome again to the forum and thanks for posting further details of your problem. The further information clears major aspect of your problem- It appears form your description that this is a skin tag erupting outside the anal opening. The skin tags at this area are skin colored round and firm with no pain, itching or any other problem in the same. These skin tags are quite usual in your age due to laxity of skin and there is no need of worry as are totally benign and simple growth and never turns into any type of malignant or cancerous growth. There can be a second possibility of prominent vein under the skin at this site which gives a lump like feeling. But in case of prominent vein - there is increase in decrease in the size of lump due filling and emptying of vein according to pressure. There could had been a possibility of another condition known as "sentinel pile" or also called sentinel skin tag which is a common condition in anal fissure. But in this condition both fissure and pile are quite painful condition along with itching and irritation near the pile and around the anus. As you have totally asymptomatic condition where there is no pain and itching so the possibility of simple skin tag is more likely. For the treatment part- in most case there is no need of any treatment. But if at all it grows in size then you can go for radio-frequency ablation by any dermatologist in few minutes. I hope that the information will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to help or if not then can close the query and rate the answer. "With best wishes of healthy and wealthy new year" Regards. Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)