What is the cause for irregular periods with heavy clots, periods lasting for 7 days and spotting for 5-6 days?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hi I am 46 I have had disturbed periods with heavy clots at times lasting the periods more than seven days with spots for more 5-6 days married twenty years back having 3 kids all Caesarian and ligated anemic Usg done on 29-7-11 shows a.v multiporous uterous having seedling fibroid [5mm to 8mm] –aginal wall cyst & cervical Nabothem cyst normal ovaries tvs done on 4-9-13 shows bulky uterus c e t -10mm Fundal endometrial cavity shows 2.1*1.2 cms hyperechoic oval lesion s/o endometrial polyp b/l ovaries normal prescribed with tab dub 5 mg for three months will this help to have normal periods with long time spotting shall I do normal sex During this medication period or after five six days of periods even though blood spots are oozing , nothing serious to worry about
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: POLYP NEEDS TO BE REMOVED,OTHERWISE TREATMENT OKAY Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. I have gone through your ultrasound report. Could you tell me on what day of your cycle was the ultrasound scan done ? The endometrial thickness is on the higher side, this is termed as endometrial hyperplasia, unless the scan was done just BEFORE your periods. This happens due to basic hormonal imbalance, which is very common after the forties, and due to which there is irregular menstrual bleeding and heavy periods also. THis condition can be fairly well managed medically, with the help of progesterone preparations ( DUB tablet is one example ). When taken cyclically for three months, this helps in regulating the period by causing regular shedding off of the endometrial lining. Also, the other condition of concern is the endometrial polyp. In my opinion, this should be removed . This is easily done by hysteroscopy, and it is a simple 10 - 15 minute procedure done under anesthesia. It is called hysteroscopic polypectomy, and the polyp should then be sent for biopsy. At the same time, endometrial biopsy also can be done. A polyp would not generally respond to medical treatment. While taking the medication, you can have normal sexual relations. If the polyp is removed, the medication can help to tackle endometrial hyperplasia, and will regulate your cycles. It is common to have spotting while on the drug, do not worry. ALso, get your blood sugars tested. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications. Take care.

Follow-up: What is the cause for irregular periods with heavy clots, periods lasting for 7 days and spotting for 5-6 days? 1 hour later
D n C ALREADY DONE ON 11-10/09 DO I STILL REQUIRE POLYP TO BE REMOVED IF NOT REMOVED HAS IT ANY ADVERSE/SERIOUS EFFECT IN GENERAL SECONDLY DOES RE- OCCURANCE OF VEGINAL WALL CYST IS RELATED TO SEXUAL INTERCOURSE SHALL THE INTERCOURCE BE AVOIDED THAT TIME OF REOCCURANCE

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Could you please tell me again when was the D and C done. In the format, I would interpret it as being done in 2009. You need to have a repeat transvaginal ultrasound, and if the polyp is persisting, a repeat polypectomy is advisable. Otherwise, the menstrual irregularity would persist. Recurrence of vaginal wall cyst is not related to sexual intercourse. You have not mentioned any vaginal wall cyst in the previous query - please provide more details so that I can comment further. Details regarding size, location, pain / signs of infection, previous time of occurrence and type of treatment taken etc. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. ALl the best.

Follow-up: What is the cause for irregular periods with heavy clots, periods lasting for 7 days and spotting for 5-6 days? 33 minutes later
I related vaginal wall cyst being worried as my partner takes it too long to ejaculate takes nearlu more than halh hour penetrates four five times with breaks taking pennies fully out of vagina kissing mouth to mouth in between does effect any or shall accept the penetration without any disturbace D N C perort to locate for uploading

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: There is no relation between sexual intercourse and vaginal cysts. Please upload the report once you find them.