What is the cause for intermittent stabbing pain in kidney area with elevated sugar levels?

Question
For about a week I have had an intermitent stabbing pain in my right back (kidney area) that sometimes extends to the front (gall bladder area?) The pain is progressively more present and a bit more intense. I am diabetic (type 2) and keep my blood sugar well-controlled, but it has been running higher than usual by 30-50 points for the past few days.
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ultrasound abdomen and pelvis. Kidney stones Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. This intermittent pain originating from the back and radiating to the front is most likely due to Kidney stones. I suggest my patients to undergo an ultrasound abdomen and pelvis to rule out any kidney stones. A urine test would also be required to rule out infection. I urge you to visit a doctor nearby and undergo the aforementioned tests. In the meantime, drink plenty of fluids. Use antispasmodic drugs if pain is severe and troubling. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.

Follow-up: What is the cause for intermittent stabbing pain in kidney area with elevated sugar levels? 48 minutes later
Thank you very much. What anti-spasmodic drugs would you recommend? I will follow up with my Primary care doctor as soon as the holidays are over.

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Diclofenac and Hyoscine butyl bromide. Detailed Answer: Hello, Diclofenac, as well as many other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and antispasmodics like hyoscine butyl bromide or otilonium bromide will be helpful. Please consult your Primary care physician as soon as possible. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.