What is the cause for hearing loss and shadow behind the brain?

I am 69 and my recent MRI showed an 8mm shadow in the back of my brain. The reason for the MRI was that my hearing test showed that I have hearing loss in my right ear. What would the shadow in my brain mean.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 28 minutes later

Thanks for your query ,

Shadow detected by a Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the head could be due to various reasons -

1. Hemorrhage within the brain tissue - associated with arteriovenous [AV] malformation.
2. brain diseases, such as Huntington's disease, Parkinson's disease, or Alzheimer's disease.
3. Tumors, infections, an abscess, encephalitis or meningitis.

In your case, the presence of hearing loss associated with shadow in the brain could be due to
1. osteomyelitis of the temporal bone (a complication of chronic suppurative otitis media - cause of hearing loss).
2. Abscess or inflammation in the surrounding area.
3. Tumors (Schwanoma, Meningioma, etc).

But the exact diagnosis, needs to be done, with the clear interpretation of the appearance of the MRI with the clinical history, which is not possible online.

You might continue to work with your ENT doctor or a neurologist for proper treatment and advice.

I hope this helps.