What is the cause for having weakness in upper arms and elbow?

Excellent

Question
Having weakness in both upper arms above the elbow. This has happened before too. Feels weird to lift my arms up. Ive had a headache for two days and dizziness for 6 months. Worse in the last 3 days due to the flu. I have doctors investigating over 20 brain lesions and see my GP tommorrow. What can i ask him to check me for? Throat was very sore a few days ago and closed up on one side. Then bad stomach pain and nausea and sweats and room spinning. Very tired. Feeling better except extreme arm weakness that started right after my bath. 40 yr old female
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: You can ask him to check for power in all limbs. Also discuss if mri brain and spine is needed to evaluate this weakness in upper limb.your doctor will also have to consider possibility of peripheral neuropathy which might need nerve conduction study. Sometimes flu affecting spinal cord can affect limbs. Ideal approach would be to see neurologist. Hope this helps. Please ask if there are doubts. Regards

Follow-up: What is the cause for having weakness in upper arms and elbow? 7 minutes later
I have a neuro and the nerve conduction study was norm pretty much. Def have flu symptoms and really really tired.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks for follow up Detailed Answer: In that case , power in limb should tested and mri of spine and brain should considered.sometimes flu can affect neural tissue as well. Doctor can arise such suspicion by evaluating your clinical symptoms.

Follow-up: What is the cause for having weakness in upper arms and elbow? 0 minute later
Would that. Be temp or perm?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Most patients recover . But first underlying cause should be determined.

Follow-up: What is the cause for having weakness in upper arms and elbow? 5 minutes later
All my neuro tries to rule out is ms. Ive had mri's brain and spinal. Irons low and hemoglobin is low. Also nerve pain in shoulder for 8 months. Attached is my brain mri although i have no ms sympts.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 days later
Brief Answer: Sorry for delay in reply Detailed Answer: MRI report doesn't reveal any evidence of MS.I guess you should get Vitamin 12 levels checked. Particularly in view of symptoms and also there is low iron so nutritional deficiency of B12 needs to be ruled out. Vit 12 can present with such symptoms.Ask your neurologist whether this possibility was ruled out. Regards.

Follow-up: What is the cause for having weakness in upper arms and elbow? 1 hour later
I did get B12 tested. Its normal but borderline. What level does B12 start causing symptoms and is it safe to get B12 shots even if im not under 200? My neuro wants to do a lumber puncture also. Im so confused.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Rather than shots you can try oral B12 as that is in more controlled manner. Before lumbar puncture I would like to know was nerve condition studies done.If not then they should be undertaken.

Follow-up: What is the cause for having weakness in upper arms and elbow? 4 hours later
Yes nerve conduction study and EEG done. Completely normal other than some reflex lost in one foot. I also have chronic uveitis in the middle to back of my eye that i take eye drops for. Left eye. No cause to be found. I have grade two sacriolitis in my lower back but i think thats because i popped out my right side giving birth. I know this cuz i felt it. Like my back broke. Then my feet hurt a month later. Not now though. Attached is some blood work b12 there. Iron studies i dont have copy. Binding high, rdw high, mch low, hemo low iron stores 8, and thats all i remember.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: With all those details I would like to make one suggestion to see a rheumatologist. Two things which make me think of this is unexplained uveitis and sacroilitis. Both these things are more common with autoimmune diseases. If doctor could trace and fit your neural symptoms along with these issues into one cause , a better treatment can be planned.