What is the cause for formation of dead skin and scars on the ear?

Hi Doc, frequently there is a dead skin formation on my tip of ear and once that dead skin is gone, it leaves a black scar/mark. please let me know, why this is happening and what to do?

Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 2 hours later

Please answer the following questions.

Do you wear earrings ? Or did you get your ear pierced recently?
Do you get such dead skin formation anywhere else on the body?
How itchy is the dead skin?
Have you tried any treatment yet and since how long have you been experiencing this problem?

I would answer your query soon after receiving the details.

In anticipation of your reply.
Follow-up: What is the cause for formation of dead skin and scars on the ear? 3 hours later

Thank you for your reply,i don't wear earrings nor i have not done any piercing and no where else such dead skin formation is happening.i did not take any treatment, its happening from last 1 or 2 months.

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 19 hours later
Thanks for the reply XXXXXXX

From the description of the condition,dermatitis like seborrheaic dermatitis can be a possibility.

I can only comment on the possibility on viewing a picture of the same.The pictures will help in making a concrete diagnosis.

Please consider sending the pics to YYYY@YYYY . Subject: Attn Dr. Gaurang.

Meanwhile I would suggest to start using a mild steroid cream.

Do not forget to reply here after sending the pictures also as I can answer only over this forum.