What is the cause for enlarged hepatic portal vein and discomfort in upper abdomen?

I had an abdominal ultra sound a while back, and it was discovered that I have an enlarged hepa portal vein. I was questioned as to whether I had ever had pancreatitis,..and I have never had this. I have constant slight discomfort in the upper quadrant right side...but never severe pain as seen in gall bladder attacks. My gastroenterologist retired...and I have concerns. Could this be a serious problem ,..and do I need more testing? What Causes this as well? My father died with gallbladder cancer and I have concerns. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Causes to enlarged portal vein.. Detailed Answer: Hi, Before running into conclusions, I'd like to have the reports of ultrasound and other tests you did. These reports would help me determine the level of enlargement and further assist you. There are many factors causing enlarged hepatic portal vein including - pancreatitis - liver cirrhosis - portal vein infections - tumors This explains why your doctors have asked if you ever had pancreatitis. Looking forward to have the results of the tests you did. Thank you! Dr.Klerida