What is the cause for dizziness, slurred speech, rapid heart beat and blurred vision?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Early Sunday morning around 3am I ended up with severe pain in my stomach, followed by constant diarrhea. I also felt dizzy, slurred speech, rapid heart beat, blurred vision, felt extremely hot to where I whispered to my daughter to please cool me off fast, I tried putting my arm on my lap but it slid off, I felt like I was slipping away...this lasted for an hour or more. This has happened to me many times but never this extreme...please help me understand what's happening to me
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: due to low blood pressure or low blood sugar level Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your query. As per your symptoms and history this could be due to low blood pressure or low blood sugar level due to dehydration. Another possibility of Transient ischemic episode but less likely at your age. I suggest you to get his blood pressure checked once along with the pulse rate and other vitals like blood sugar and if required ECG and MRI brain. It can be attributed to low water or food intake causing water and electrolyte imbalance, and subsequently the dizzy feeling. Take fresh fruit juices to drink to replenish the salts and water. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: What is the cause for dizziness, slurred speech, rapid heart beat and blurred vision? 7 minutes later
I'm unsure how long it takes for a response to a question. I checked my email address but all I found was a reference number and a password to use...please help...the pain in my stomach is still there but not as bad as Sunday...feeling sluggish now and I don't have a lot of energy at times I feel like my body is going down suddenly as if in an elevator

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Infection which can be viral or bacterial. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. As per your history and symptoms there is possibility of infection which can be viral or bacterial. I will advise to start antacids [proton pump inhibitors like] rabeprazole 20 mg twice a day. Take tab Imodium for diarrhoea and drink ORS solution in water. You may need to take a course of antihelminth like mebendazole consulting your doctor. If not relieved you may need to do investigation like complete blood count,USG abdomen You are feeling weak due to dehydration. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care