What is the cause for dark brown mucus while coughing?

Hi Doctor, I'm facing this problem since 3 to 4 days. I'm working in the night shift & I sleep in the day time. I cough dark brown mucus after woke up, when I brush teeth. It has started unexpectedly just before 4 days. I facing this problem only once in a day but getting irritation in the stomach and throat since then. I do not have any bad habits such as smoking, drinking or any kinds of drugs. I drink 6-7 cups of tea in a day. Except that I dont even have much junk food eating habit outside. I never had any kinds problem before related to heart and respiratory system. The only problem I have is migraine and sometime I get excess of heat(mouth warm). I will decrease tea consumption after getting migraine and excess of heat(mouth warm) and it will reduce automatically. Please help me on this please.
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Sounds like throat infection. Detailed Answer: Hello Mr. XXXXXXX Thanks for the question. From the description you have provided, I feel you may be suffering from throat infection and you might be exposed to pollution. The brown sputum could be because of the exposure to pollution. Since this is a recent problem and of short duration, I would advice you to wait and see if it gets any worse. Meanwhile I suggest you to do the following. 1. Warm and salt water gargling 4 to 5 times a day. 2. Avoid drinking tea completely till you feel better. 3. Use a mask to cover your nose and mouth while travelling to and from work. 4. Do steam inhalation 4 times a day. 5. Watch for any dark colored stools. If you don't see any improvement in the next 3 to 4 days, I would suggest you to consult your doctor for a proper examination of throat and abdomen along with chest to look for any signs of infection. Hope this answers your question, you are welcome to ask me for clarifications. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Regards.