What is the cause for cramps during bowel movements and watery stools?

General Surgeon
I have to goo to toilet minimum 3 times a day. Sometimes I feel cramps and I have to go to toilet immidiately. Whenever I come out I dont feel full empty. Once in a day the stool is watery. Its becoming a problem as I am worried that I may get cramp anytime and will need to rush to the toilet.
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Your symptoms can be caused by several issues and to find out which one is causing them, proper diagnostic is necessary. General rule is that any diarrhea (watery stools) which lasts longer than 48 hours needs to be checked with stool test and stool culture test. Its because the most common reason of such symptoms is bacterial infection of intestines. For such infection some doctors try Rifaximine treatment first, before any diagnostics. As you are young person, your symptoms are not caused by colon cancer for sure. But at your age, inflammatory bowels disease can occur. Therefore, if stool tests will be inconclusive, colonoscopy should be the next step. If nothing will be found, abdominal CT with oral contrast (enteroclysis) needs to be done. I suggest you to visit gastroenterologist with your issue who will guide you through the whole process. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.