What is the cause for constant pain under both armpits and upper back ?

I am 40 years old five feet five inches tall, male and have good overall health. My concern is an almost constant pain under both armpits and upper back. I recently have been examined by a doctor and he found no swollen lymph glands under my arms. I have not had any fever (that I am aware of), night sweats, loss of apatite or weight loss. I have been having this condition for slightly over 1 week. I am concerned that it could be something serious though not likely. I did have blood tests on Thursday and should have the results by Monday.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Follow-up: What is the cause for constant pain under both armpits and upper back ? 8 minutes later
Also, I wonder if this could be a computer related injury as I have been playing a computer game on a near daily basis for at least 30 minutes each time. Also, I have lifted objects in an awkward manner with my arms almost completely stretched out.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later

I can understand that your symptoms have caused you a significant degree of discomfort and anxiety. I will try and help you with some more information. First of all it seems like your doctor is doing an appropriate workup by ordering screening blood tests to rule out any metabolic causes of your symptoms.

I am inclined to suspect a musculoskeletal cause of your symptoms - specifically since you specified pain in the upper back along with the armpit regions. If there is a nerve compression, problem with the spine or spinal cord or something along those lines, the any of these could be a potential cause. Muscle tightness or spasm could also be a contributing factor.

You touched on an important point regarding your computer activity. This could absolutely be a potential cause depending how you hold your upper body and posture while playing the computer game.

I encourage you to continue to followup with your doctor regarding test results. In the meantime, try and cut back on the frequency with which you play the game and see of your symptoms improve to any degree.

I hope this information has been both informative and adequate for you. I am available for followups if needed.