What is the cause for constant lower back pain?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a constant pain in my left side lower back. It is directly under/in/? what I call the "dent" near the bottom of the spinal column.Tis is only on the left side , the right is ok. If I put Tha pressure on that spot the pain is "awful"
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: Mechanical back pain. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From description it seems you might be suffering Mechanical back pain. It is a common medical problem.Mechanical back pain implies the source of pain is in the spine and/or its supporting structure. The surrounding muscles and ligaments may develop reactive spasm and pain. 1. Lie on hard bed 2. Taking muscle relaxants in combination with mild pain killers will help you. 3. Hot water fomentation to back 2-3 times a day and applying a local analgesic gel on the affected area will also help in providing a relief. 4. Physiotherapy - Interferential therapy (IFT) to your back will help you relieve the pain 5. Avoid driving, leaning forward, sitting for prolonged time or lifting heavy weights. These activities can increase your back pain. You can start with swimming and mild aerobic exercises. These do help a lot in the back pain. Do adequate warming up before starting the exercises daily. Taking calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements will also help in early recovery. You can get these prescribed from your doctor. If it has been long standing illness visit your orthopaedician and clinically-radiologically establish a diagnosis to commence definitive treatment. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care