What is the cause for cold, blueness and swelling in toes?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Confirmed fracture of fibula distal end unknown involvement of ankle, inner malleolus, in a slab awaiting appointment on Thursday, not sure if should be worried about foot being cold and bluish with swelling in some toes. No pressure from slab or wrapping. Should I go to hospital or wait?
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You should go to hospital. Detailed Answer: Hi, If the swelling increases in toes and it become cold and bluish, it suggests hampering of circulation. I suggest you to consult your doctor as soon as possible. Mean while elevate the limb and do active toe movements. Hope this will help you. Let me know if you have any more concern.