What is the cause for chronic pain in neck and shoulders, fatigue and constipation?

I have been experiencing the following symptoms for quite some time: My hair has become brittle and is falling out; I have chronic pain in my neck and shoulders, I feel fatigue and weepy, I have been constipated and am losing weight my muscles ache. I went and had a thyroid panel done as it seemed my symptoms were in line with possible thyroid problems. I had a TSH, T3 Total and T4 Uptake and all the results came back well within normal range. I am at a loss as to what is going on and with health insurance it is difficult for me to see a doctor for more tests. I have had esophagus problems for some time and am on over the counter medications for this. Aside from that I take no other medications and have always been a healthy person. I am a 55 year old woman who is active, practice yoga regularly and eat a mostly organic healthy diet. I would like suggestions on where I might look next for answers to these symptoms.
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Provide details about your hernia & esophaghagus. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting us. You have provided us with a good account of your history, but a few details are lacking: 1. Endoscopy results, what esophageal problems exactly you have? 2. I was unable to find any Thyroid results attached. 3. Details about your hernia & swelling. Where? What type? Any consultation for that? 4. Which medicines are you taking. If your Thyroid results are normal, other possible causes of these symptoms could be Menopause, Osteoporosis, Some underlying undiagnosed chronic illness, side effects of medicine you are taking, some unsuspected trauma to your neck & shoulder muscles due to yoga, any heart problem etc. I need the details of above questions for a more detailed answer & in addition I recommend that you should see a general surgeon for further help as I think with your history of weight loss, shortness of breath & hernia, insurance company should have no objection on your visit to a general surgeon. Wish you good health. Take care.
Follow-up: What is the cause for chronic pain in neck and shoulders, fatigue and constipation? 13 hours later
Thanks for your response. As for my Esophageal results I went in for an endoscopy as I was not able to eat solid foods without vomiting and without pain in my chest. The doctor wanted to stretch my esophagus however it was so swollen and ulcered that he could not perform the procedure as he feared it would rupture. He put me on over the counter Omerprazole to help reduce the swelling, ulcers and hernia. I was supposed to follow up in 3 months but was unable to due to the fact that I have no health insurance and the first procedure was so expensive. I am not on any prescription medications. I was in a car accident three years ago and did suffer from neck issues, and was under a chiropractors care for 12 weeks. Xrays of my spine showed that my spine (with the exception of my neck which showed slight compression) was in line with the spine of someone half my age (I believe due to my many years of doing yoga). I have gone through menopause and have not taken any HRT or done anything else as I did not suffer normal symptoms and breezed through it (although i know I am still going through it). I don't see anywhere on these follow up correspondence to attach a file so cannot send my lab results from Thyroid Panel but the results showed the following: T3 Uptake - 33.6 T4 Total - 6.8 T7 Index - 2.3 TSH - 0.72 I have not gone to see a general surgeon as I do NOT have insurance and cannot afford to pay doctors which is why I turned to this service. =) Thanks for your input.
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 36 hours later
Brief Answer: Few suggestions. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your response & very sorry for a late reply. To me it seems to be your oesophagus problem which is the route cause of most of your problems. Did you have any oesophageal biopsy to find out the cause of this swelling? I think this is necessary. I am sorry but I had to admit that this problem needs continuous follow up & treatment under supervision of a specialist surgeon. Over the counter medicines are not likely to help. A single advise I can offer you is that you should take some liquid dietary food supplement till you are able to tolerate normal diet. This will give you energy & strength & better to sleep in a prop up position. Sorry I misunderstood that you have insurance. Without this it is difficult but no doubt necessary. Your neck & shoulder pain may improve with physiotherapy but again Orthopaedic consultation is necessary. You should take some multivitamin & mineral supplement to avoid deficiencies. Better to take fiber sachets available OTC to avoid constipations. Many are available in powder form & hope you may swallow them easily. Wish you good health. God bless you.