What is the cause for chapped lips?

This morning my lips started feeling chapped (something I've never had a problem with). As the day has progressed the feeling has gone more to the inside of my lips and the edges of my tongue. I had my gums worked on a little over a week ago but my gums are not bothering me so I can't imagine that having anything to do with it.
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Irritant reaction lips Detailed Answer: Hi See your problem is that of excessive dryness and irritation over the lips. Such a sensation can occur due to two reasons. One, it can be simply due to excess dryness or chapping of lips which in most cases is due to season change. The second possibility is a mild allergic reaction which can occur over the lips. Now this can again occur either due to variation in seasons or due to usage of a new lip balm or lipstick or due to some new cream or cosmetic. When you have an irritant reaction over lips, the sensation tends to spread to the tongue as well. In both the cases, one needs to use a mild steroid cream like cortisone over the lips once a day for two to three days. Along with this, regular use of a good lip balm or Vaseline three to four time a day is required. Also make sure that you apply a sunscreen over the lips too when you in out in the sun. Avoid cosmetic usage for sometime. Dr Geetika Paul