What is the cause for bleeding and cramps while on birth control medication?

Hi I've been on birth control for 6 months coming and my partner and I have recently let him come in me only a few times. I got my period on the 12 of December and it ended on the 15, now yesterday I woke up and went to the washroom to use the toilet and when I wiped there was red blood (not a lot) and gushy blood. Today I woke up and it's brown blood. I've been having cramps a little too.
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: mid cycle bleeding Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX You can safely rule out pregnancy since you period just ended on the 15th . This bleeding could be due to 2 reasons . First it's possible that this is mid cycle bleeding or ovulation bleeding as we call it . It happens during ovulation and lasts a day or two . It's nothing to worry about as it's normal and happens to many women . However if the bleeding is heavy and lasts longer then there could be a hormonal cause behind it . Since you are on birth control pills this hormonal imbalance could be due to that . Imbalance in hormone levels may cause breakthrough bleeding . In such a case see your doctor for change in medication .
Follow-up: What is the cause for bleeding and cramps while on birth control medication? 1 hour later
I was on a different pill the forst three months i started using birth control then when i went to get my next three i was given alysena. And i dont need to worry at all about pregnancy? Should i do an at home pregnany test incase?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 8 hours later
Brief Answer: pregnancy shouldnt be a issue Detailed Answer: Well if you have just finished your period recently then pregnancy can be ruled out . You said that you finished your period on birth15th December . In that case pregnancy isn't possible . Your fertile period is between Dec 21-26. In which case you cannot be pregnant . More than likely this is due to hormonal imbalance. Just watch your bleeding pattern for a day or two . If you are still bleeding have your doctor check the Alysena . Missing pills leaves to unprotected .