What is the cause and treatment for upper respiratory tract infection

Hi, doctor! I was starting to feel better since saturday, my fever went away and joints stopped aching, but I have a lingering cough and mucus with stuffy nose and pressure around sinuses. Also, the aches and pains came back with the fever again 99-100.9F. Is this still the same sickness or something new? Im coughing out what looks like darker mucus like a green color, you can see in the attachment. Also, the pinkish/red color is from drinking gatorade, not blood. thank you again
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: You seem to suffer from URTI... Detailed Answer: Hi, The current description of symptoms matches features of upper respiratory tract infection (URTI). URTI is commonly caused by common flu and these virus sometimes present with prodromol symptom of fever and joint aches. Well, I wouldn't be able to conclude it was the same virus that caused your symptom few days ago; but I can assure you that you need not be very concerned now. You can start on tylenol thrice a day along with benadryl allergy cough formula. Start steam inhalation four times a day is a must. Drink lots of fluids preferably warm fluid and try resting well. Watch the progress for couple of days; you will need additional antibiotic such as penicillin or azithromycin drugs if they worsen especially if you develop a bad sorethroat. Hope this helps. let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for upper respiratory tract infection 2 hours later
Thank you doctor! Also, would this make me feel groggy/spaced out feelings? I feel very sleepy and almost in a dream state.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes... Detailed Answer: Any infection causes lethargy. Your body metabolism is lowered making you drowsy and lethargic. If you feel unusually drowsy and lethargic with a high grade fever, you might consider consulting the doctor. But based on my experience, you may not be that sick with flu induce upper respiratory infection. Let me know if you need any further assistance. Regards