What is the cause and treatment for tricuspid regurgitation?

Dear Doctor, After emailing 2 Eco Cardiogram reports (of 1995 & 2013) on Feb 11 and a chat with Dr Vaishalee Punj, I've came to know of this condition called Tricuspid Regurgitation. I do not feel any symptom like breathlessness or swelling of legs. My work involves little bit of travel. How do I identify if I have the other symptoms fatigue and pulse in Neck. Do you advice me to take any further tests? Do you advice any particular Diet or Exercise? Awaiting your suggestion on the course of action to be taken. Regards, XXXX
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 days later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query Isolated Tricuspid regurgutation is very rare and most of the patients do extremely well without any issues for a very long time if it is a mild tricuspid regurgitation I could not find the ECHO report. Could you please get back to me with the 2013 ECHO report, I can give a more specific response rather than a generalized one. Also Please get back to with the follwing 1. Do you get occasional swelling of the leg? 2. Any chest pain at all? 3. Any visible pulsations over the chest? 4. Breathlessness on lying down? 5. Do you have cough? 6. Is the asthma under control? Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply Regards
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for tricuspid regurgitation? 18 days later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Madhyastha, Thanks for your valuable feedback. Since you have seen only one of my report. I am once again sending Echo Cardiogram Report - 1995 & 2013 . Please have a look. Request your valuable feedback. Warm Regards,
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: Thanks for attaching both the reports. After comparing the two ECHO it looks like you are suffering what is known as mitral valve prolapse which is a congenital condition, it is not a serious condition, however you will have to visit your doctor once in 6 months for follow up. People with mitral valve prolapse often develop slight enlargement of the heart due to back flow of the blood due to the prolapse. This has not yet happened in you and it looks like your heart apart from the mitral valve prolapse is healthy. Mild TR could be because of long standing MVP which is nothing to worry about Here are my suggestions to you 1. Avoid strenuous exercises like weight lifting and trekking until you get a thread mill test done to rule out stress induced ECG changes 2. Follow a low salt diet as much as possible 3. Monitor you blood pressure every once in two to three months 4. Please go back to you doctor immediately in case you develop breathlessness, swelling of the leg, chest pain or palpitation I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish you good health Regards