What is the cause and treatment for tickly cough?

ENT Specialist
Dear doctor. My tickly cough doesnt seem to get better. Its been around 4-5 days like this. Its a non productivee cough. No othe symptoms. Just very tickly which forces ne to cough. It also feels tickly when i breath in and out. What is this? I dont have a temperature or anything like this. Maybe you can help? What can i take? I am a 34 year old non smoker male. The tickly cough seems to come and go. I am a very anxious person so pls help.
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Nothing to worry, see below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for using health care magic. Tickly cough can occur in infections of the throat. You need not have fever everytime you have throat infection. Everytime you breath in and out the air brushes agsinst your inflamed vocal cords causing the sensation of tickling. Absolutely nothing to worry. Please follow some general measures. 1) Drink plenty of warm fluids , 3-4 litres per day. You can have absolutely any fluids as long as they are not from the refrigerator. 2) Voice rest. Give absolute rest for a couple of days after which you can talk just a little bit only when necessary. Voice rest is of utmost importance when there is infection of the voice box. Do not scream or whisper. 3) Do not drink or eat anything cold. Avoid using the air conditioner. 4) Eat lots of fruits that are rich in vitamin C like sweet lime, orange and lemon. 5) Eat 8 almonds per day. Almonds or for that matter any nuts are very rich in Zinc. Zinc helps in early recovery. 6) Do warm salt water gargling 5 time sdaily. 7) Do steam inhalation 4 times daily. 8) Avoid clearing your throat. If you do not feel better in 3 more days then you may need a cough suppressant and antibiotics so you will need to visit the doctor. Feel free to follow up, Regards, Dr Rajkishori.
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for tickly cough? 2 hours later
But you feel there is nothing to worry about?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: nothing to worry. Detailed Answer: Hi again, Your symptoms have been present for a very short time and point towards simple infection. It is highly unlikely that there is anything serious. Rest easy. Follow my instructions and you will be ok. regards, Dr Rajkishori.
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for tickly cough? 11 hours later
But it has been 6-7 days now and it seems to be worse and better. Keeps changing. Very tickly without no mucus. Very frustrating. Sorry for all the questions.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 5 hours later
Brief Answer: probably require antibiotics Detailed Answer: Hi again, If its been 7 days with no relief then you will probably require antibiotics preferably of the penicillin group. You will do well even with a cough suppressant. You have to see a doctor for the prescription. If your place is very dry using a humidifier will help. Regards, Dr Rajkishori.
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for tickly cough? 32 hours later
Thanks doctor. I have taken your advive and now feel much better!
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Welcome Detailed Answer: Hi again, You are welcome. Take care, Dr Rajkishori.