What is the cause and treatment for recurring UTI infection?

Dr Grief, I have been dealing with a UTI infection for 2 1/2 years. I am a 74 yr old white male, 6' 1" 150lbs with no other serious health problems, taking no other meds regularly. My diet is largely vegetarian, although I eat some meat. There is no bacteria observable in the urine. My urologist did a cystoscopy and found no tumors or ulcers. Yet I regularly have burning which causes me to urinate frequently. At night, I sometimes have burning in the testicles or urethral area, and have to get up to urinate every hour or so. I do not have pain in the back or kidney area, and the doc says prostate is normal size. He could not give me a diagnosis today, but thinks it is some kind of irritation. I have tried cipro, doxycycline, and trimeth, and after a few days the side effects were so bad I had to quit. 9 days on cipro and my ankle tendons were sore all the time as well as my wrist. the other two caused serious constipation and diarrhea. I tried macrobid but it was not any better. I think there was some relief from the symptoms but I was not able to stay the course long enough. I am now on amoxicillin which is supposed to be milder, since I am very medication sensitive.. Any suggestiions?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Urine culture and sensitivity needs to be done. Detailed Answer: Hello, I your case I would like to suggest as dedicated and more extensive urine culture sensitivity test. This will not only help to identify the organism causing infection but also tell you which antibiotic it is sensitive.If the test is already done, please consider repeating it and ask to look for more organism.Also inform them what antibiotics you have taken recently. Cross and multi-organism infection can be seen in individuals of your age which may not clear off even by regular broad spectrum antibiotics. Other thing is you can get a ultrasound of both of your kidneys done, sometimes kidneys might harbor source of infection. These investigations can help you plan better and effective treatment. Importantly drink lots of water , have berries and fruit juices. Also get your sugar levels checked.Raised sugar levels make you prone for infections. Hope this helps to answer your question.Please ask if there are any doubts.
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for recurring UTI infection? 16 hours later
Dr. XXXXXXX Excellent answer. My doctor said he would send the last sample off for further testing when I saw him yesterday. I have gotten some relief from the antibiotics, just the side effects were too severe. I am now on 2d day with amoxicillin, slept better last night, and hope to improve with this. I have found that taking Greek non-fat yogurt plain, with each dose (500mg 3x day) improves the reception of it in my body and lowers discomfort. I have also begun taking some carrot juice daily and trying to drink more water. I have read that some call this situation urinary tract irritation instead of infection which is exacerbated by acid pH food, citrus, meat, etc. Do you think there is anything to the acid-alkaline balance in regard to my situation?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, urine pH does play a role. Detailed Answer: That's the reason one is asked to drink lots of water and fruit juice to reduce concentration of urine and keeping pH in more desired range. If yogurt is helping you, do continue it. It was pleasure to be help to you.Please ask if there are further questions or take out time to post a positive review. Regards.
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for recurring UTI infection? 2 days later
What do you think about fasting with carrot juice, etc. to heal UTI or colitis?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 2 hours later
Brief Answer: I really wont favor that. Detailed Answer: Complete fasting with only carrot juice is unlikely to have significant curing effect on both colitis and UTI.