What is the cause and treatment for persistent hoarse throat?

ENT Specialist
I have persistent hoarse throat, and it has been recently getting worse. I thought it might be acid reflux, but am not overweight and recently cut out caffeine, alcohol (didn't drink much of either previously, but zero now). Also, following a pretty strict diet. However, it's not getting better - have a hard time even speaking without my voice cracking now.
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Steam, voice rest, PPI, mucolytics, Laryngoscopy Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. There can be two types of problems with voice, one with the structure of vocal cords (the surface or the edges getting changed in character) and the other with changes in function that is the movement part. The cracking voice is usually with the first one with the meeting surface of the vocal cords which may develop edema or nodule or polyp or a similar mass lesion over the vocal cord. The diagnosis of both types of problems can be made with a laryngoscopic examination and stroboscopy if need be. Please see an ENT and get your laryngeal inlet examined. Even otherwise also, a laryngoscopic examination is a must in patients having persistently hoarse voice. It is needed to rule out mostly common lesions stated above but few uncommon conditions also. The functional part of vocal cords will also be assessed with the laryngoscopic examination. Mass lesions require excision or biopsy and subsequent required treatment. Functional lesions require vocal hygiene and voice rest is required in both. Meanwhile, please do steam inhalation, voice rest, take proton pump inhibitors, mucolyics. Stop smoking if you smoke. Feel free to ask another query. Regards