Ask a Dentist   »  

What is the cause and treatment for persistence of pain in the molar tooth after dental work?

Question
I have a molar that is killing me , I had 3 fillings in that tooth and the two in front of it 3 weeks ago . thats why I went to the dentist , he said he didnt see infection so he filled the teeth . It doesnt bug me every day . yesterday and today it has and last week 5 out of 7 days .
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, follow up with the dentist! Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about this pain that you have been experiencing. Persistence of pain after dental work raise the suspicion of a dental infection or improper nerve destruction. I will suggest that you get back and get this tooth examined. If the cause is not evident after the examination, then an X-ray should be gotten to look for possible complications like dental cyst and infections. For now, please, take pain medications to get the symptoms controlled while you meet with your dentist to establish the cause and treat accordingly. I hope you find this helpful. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and please do feel free to ask for more information if need. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.

Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for persistence of pain in the molar tooth after dental work? 7 minutes later
He did take 3 x-rays of that area and said there was no infection and he couldn't see anything that would cause that type of pain . He also said the pain should go away , it is not sensitive to hot or cold either . Cool water relieves the pain till it warms up . As I was leaving he did say the tooth had a crack , could that possibly be a problem ? I am really hesitant to go back to that dentist .

Brief Answer: Seek a second opinion Detailed Answer: I don't understand why he would not see any possible cause of pain and yet you still have toothache. I will suggest that you get a second opinion. Please, consider consulting another dentist who ay get on board with some new ideas. If the crack on this tooth gets all the way to the base(root), then it could be the possible cause of this pain. Also, If this pain is most intense when you try using this tooth in eating, then that could be the a possible cause. I hope you find the above helpful. I wish you well. Keep me updated. Dr. Ditah, MD.