What is the cause and treatment for painful lymph node on neck?

General Surgeon
I can feel a lump on the left side of my neck. It's about the size of a pea. It's toward the back side of my neck under the jaw line. I think it's part of the lymph node system, but not sure. I've had an aching in my neck from time to time and it appears to be slowly getting bigger. When I touch it or press in on it it hurts a little. It feel hard.
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Likely to be Lymph node Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Wish you a very happy new year From the description given by you, it appears you are probably referring to submandibular region. You are right it could be probably a lymph node. Going by the way of a very common clinical dictum, any swelling present at site of lymph node region has to be considered a lymph node unless proved otherwise. The above explanation was very much necessary to reassure that there is no cause for concern. Isolated lymph node swelling <2cm, which is firm in consistency and freely mobile there appears no cause of concern. Most of the times its due to subclinical oral infection like gingivitis or bad oral hygeine. 7 day course of antibiotic like Ciprofloxacin will help in resolution of the swelling. If the swelling persists or is still growing then consult a Surgeon for further assessment. This is the protocol i follow in managing my patients and almost all the patients there has been resolution in the swelling In case you need any further assistance, do get back to me, will be glad to assist you. Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak K K MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Surgeon