What is the cause and treatment for pain in chest radiating to back and left shoulder blades?

I am 81 years old. I have pain in the middle of chest goes thru to back and sometmes across my entire chest. I went to ER thinking it was my heart and all tests came back negative. My dr. thought it was costochronditis and put me on zipsor (not sure spelled right) and also omeprazole, it did not help. He then put me on naproxen, no results. I put heat on it several times a day, it sems to help for a little bit. I thought it might be esophogitis, according to internet. Do you have any idea what this is and what I can take or do for this situation?
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need more information to give a complete answer Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. I need some more information before I can give my opinion. How long have you been having this symptom? 1. Was echocardiogram done? 2. Was chest xray done? 3. Can you describe the pain? 4. If there anything that worsens or relieves your pain? 5. Any medical illness you have. Kindly get back to me with these information I would give my opinion. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for pain in chest radiating to back and left shoulder blades? 14 hours later
I have pain in the center of my chest between the boobs radiating to back and left side of body tohoulder blades. It is hard to say when it is worse since it is there all the time. Heat seem to help. It worsens when I cough, sneeze or yawn. It gets worse just according to how I move. I have had this for a month to 6 weeks. Sometimes I get coughing spells and my voice gets hoarse. I have RA, glaucoma, and reflux.. Right as of this moment it hurts i They did so many tests when I went to ER I don't know if they did a echocardiogram. I thought it might be ensopholitis. The doctor thought it was muscular. The hospital thought it was inflammation of the chest cavity. Please let me know what you think it is because it has been going on long enough. Right now it hurts in my chest radiates to my back and left shoulder blade. XXXXXXX YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for providing such a good description of your symptoms. It does not look like esophagitis. If it is esophagitis, you will have painful swallowing and endoscopy would confirm the diagnosis. It looks like a muscular pain only since you have said, the pain worsens when you cough, sneeze, yawn and move. You need to take naproxen along with a muscle relaxant. Physical therapy would be very beneficial. Sometimes it can be due to lung or lung covering issues. Xray should be done to rule these out. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini