What is the cause and treatment for muscle spasms?

Nov 2013

Hi, I am recently getting so many muscle spasms. I getting them mainly in my arms, legs and stomach!What is causing these muscle spasms and how can I fix the issue?
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Baclofen may be useful. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. For treating muscle spasm, baclofen or tizanidine tablets XXXXXXX be useful. If there is pain associated with muscle spasms, then, you may also take pregabalin or chlorzoxazone tablets for pain relief. The common causes to be ruled out are vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency. These can be tested in blood. If symptoms persist longer, then, a muscle disease needs to be excluded. This would require blood tests such as serum CPK and LDH levels, followed by nerve conduction study and electromyography. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG:
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for muscle spasms? 24 hours later
Thanks! I have not been able to sleep very well for a while because of school and work. Can lack of sleep cause this? Also, should I try to take some B12 and vitamin D to relieve some of these muscle spasms? Thank You!
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Lack of sleep can aggravate your problems. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. Yes, lack of sleep can aggravate your problems. You could take vitamin B12 and D supplements to partly relieve these muscle spasms. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)