What is the cause and treatment for macular degeration?

My mother was told she has bleeding in the back of her eye. she has macular degeration in that eye. what would cause this and should she see her regular physician?
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: She should consult her ophthalmologist Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. Your mother has macular degeneration few years back. Now she had trauma to bone under left eye. On examining they found bleeding at the back of eye. Age your mother's age is 85 years, she has age related macular degeneration (AMD). Now AMD is of two types: Dry AMD- No treatment for loss of vision due to this. Wet AMD- Bleeding is common is this condition and if left untreated can cause loss of vision. Since the trauma may or may not be related to bleeding, it is necessary to consult her Ophthalmologist for complete eye examination. Only After findings required treatment can be started. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.