What is the cause and treatment for labral tear?

Hello, I had a fall off a 4ft wall onto concrete nearly a year and a half ago and my shoulder is still very sore at the top especially if I press on it. I still can't get my arm out and up to the side without bending it first and certainly not behind the back! I have had an ultrasound and I am waiting for an MRI scan - the hospital mentioned a lateral? tear and when I asked what treatment they told me time is a great healer!! I just wanted some advice please. Like I said, it is very painful to touch and I am having difficulty sleeping.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Time is a great healer..if minor but,a year's gone Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this tear that your mentioned. This is referred to as labral tear. This involves the cavity that articulates with the head of the humerus. This leads to restricted movement and pains. Time is a great healer as your doctors rightly mentioned. this would be very effective if the tear is minor and you don't use the hand that often. If you would be prepared to get it immobilized for at least six weeks with the possibility of higher chances of recurrence. A year gone pass by is already enough time and I wonder if you would need to have some more waiting time. However, the MRI would give precise information on the extend of this tear. the decision on whether to play with time or get it surgically corrected would very much depend on how big the tear is and what you use this hand for. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.