What is the cause and treatment for knee pain after surgery?

I am 76 yrs old and have AF . I am alergic to morphine....cardiac arrest. I am taking the new blood thinner, Pradaxa 110mg., Metoprolol Tart 50mg(1/2 night and am), Lanoxin-PG 62.5 1pm/1am, Frusemide 20mg per day, Micardis Plus 80/12.5, Panadol Osteo 665mg 6 per day plus Caltrate, Glucosmine Have Osteo Arthritis, serious low back (*but can't operate). Had Knee surgery 8 weeks ago. GP now finds my Liver has been failing over the last 12 months. Had a bad fall on my cocktis. Took Pannadol as well. Following knee surgery bled internally and very painfull. (wrong advise given about when I should have stopped taking this drug before op. Suffering pain for the last 12 months I took Panadol when needed as well as Panadol Osteo. More after surgery. Standfs to reason that this could have damaged my liver, but I am worried about Pradaxa or other drugs I am taking. Thinking of going back onto the Warfaran. Please advise. XXXX
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Discuss about changing to Warfarin... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX I read your medical history and understood your concerns. The bleeding you experienced was because you did not stop the blood-thinning drug (Pradaxa) during/after operation time. As Pradaxa is a blood thinning drug, it increases the risk for bleeding especially during operation. I suggest to keep following up with orthopedist (to check for knee bleeding/other problems). The pain you are experiencing might be related to internal bleeding. You can discuss with your doctor to run test to rule it out. I too think that you should go back to Warfarin; but first should advise to discuss with your cardiologist about it. You should lower the Pradaxa dose first, then, shift to Warfarin. Hope it was of help! Dr.Benard