What is the cause and treatment for itchy vulva?

I have a problem with an itchy vulva. I am 82 years old and take many meds, some of which I have after a heart attack last August, but I had this itch before the attack. I am divorced and have no sexual partner. I have tried many different creams and T- Tree oil as well as simple corn starch ( which my doctor advised). but I still have this itch. I also take a probiotic. I think I need a medical exam and oral meds. I also have IBS. which flares up occasionally.
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Could be vulval lesion. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have analyzed your query, definitely you need a clinical evaluation mainly to rule out any VULVAL LESION. The right treatment will be based on physical examination findings. If there is any lesion you might even require to undergo a vulval biopsy. I hope I have answered your questions. I will be glad to answer any other questions you might have. Regards
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for itchy vulva? 3 hours later
Is there an oral medication which could clear this problem? My General practitioner has not examined me, but she said she would not give me a prescription because she said I take enough oral Meds (10 meds a day) and . a dry, old fashioned powder like corn starch would clear up the itch. I will make an appointment with her however and ask her about a vulva lesion but the itch is only on the surface of the vulva and not on the labias or elsewhere.
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Local antiseptic cream application Detailed Answer: Hi, I apologize for the late response; I was away from my computer due to unavoidable reasons. Coming back to your question, first of all you need a clinical evaluation to diagnose the condition, if there is any vulval infection then you might need local antiseptic cream for temporary relief. But, if there is any lesion then depending on its features treatment can be planned. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!