What is the cause and treatment for itchy rash on arms?

Hi I get a lot of itching on my arm. There is a rash which is visible.I am attaching an image of the rash. What could be the cause and what is the treatment?
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Allergic skin reaction Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. I have seen the attached picture. You seem to have developed an irritant allergic skin reaction. I would like to know since when do you have this skin rash. What all are you applying over the affected area? Are you using anything lik spirit or dettol? Is it present only on one arm or on the other as well. I am sure I would be able to help you more once you provide of the above details. Also the attached picture is not very clear. It would be of great help in confirming the diagnosis if you can click another close up picture and upload it here on the page. Waiting for your response Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for itchy rash on arms? 2 days later
I have been applying moisturizing cream only. I have it for more than a month. I have it only on one arm. I also have something similar on my shoulder. Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Eczematous skin reaction Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I have seen the attached pictures. You seem to have developed an eczematous skin reaction. Avoid application of any creams or oils over the affected area other than the prescribe medicine. You need to apply clobetasol cream (available as cosvate cream or clop cream) over the affected area twice a day for atleast a week. Avoid itching or scratching as it tends to increase the eczematous skin reaction. Wear cotton clothes. Do not apply any oil over the lesion. You however need to cover the lesion well when going out in the sun. You can apply a sunscreen over it or wear full sleeved cotton clothes. In addition, if the itching is really bothering, you can take some oral antihistamines like cetrizine once a day for three to four days. Hope it helps If you have any other query, please ask. Dr Geetika Paul.