Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the cause and treatment for frequent urination?

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
In the last 6 months I have been faced with bladder issues as well as prostrate cancer. My last PSA last month had me below 1 reading from a reading of 9.2 about 5 months ago.. I receive injections every three months for the cancer I don't remember the name of the drug injected, sorry. Seems like it is under control at this time. I have had a TURP done as well as Botox injected into my bladder. I continue to urinate about every two hours 24/7. A little over a month ago, I had a super pubic procedure done. I have a valve in line on the tubing which allows me to at least turn it to a position that the urine goes directly into the bag so at least I can get about 4 hours of sleep. During the day I go one my own. Not to be repetitious, but I go every two hours and I release no more than 2 ounces at the time. I measure it each time I go. My urologist told me that there was nothing more that he could do for me. I have faith in my doctor and he is very competent and I trust his medical services to me. I am HOPEFULLY searching and asking if there are any other possibilities where I might able to return to normalcy? Functionally, the procedure is working well, but mentally, I am having a very difficult time accepting my fate. Is there any other procedure that you know of where I might explore say at UCSF or elsewhere in the S.F. Bay Area? Thank you for your reply. XXXX
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Bladder training to increase the capacity Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for a elucidate history. What I could confer is the bladder capacity of the urinary bladder is drastically reduced. The supra-pubic procedure is for few reasons. This acts as a safety valve. If you try to hold the urine for as much time as possible, the bladder capacity may increase over a period of time and frequency of urination and the disturbance caused thereby will reduce. This is sort of a bladder training and does help in many patients. There are few surgical procedures to increase the capacity of the bladder , which your Urologist ( and I too ) would not suggest due to the age factor. I would request you to go for the bladder training and will definitely help you over a period of time. I do understand the difficulties you are going through. Yes, accepting the fate is part of the treatment, Sir.