What is the cause and treatment for fever with cough and chest pain?

Over the past 3 and a half weeks I have been suffering from a wheezy cough, I have run a mild fever from 99.6 to 101.5 throughout the day. The coughing is constant. Now I have begun a mild cough suppresant with Advil and this seems to be helping some. However, now I am suffering severe pain in my breastbone area when I cough. Can you help me? My first name is XXXX.
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Hemogram and Chest X-ray... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have noted the details posted by you. Presence of fever in the back ground of cough and chest pain increases my suspicion of underlying respiratory infection. Before I suggest specific medicines, I would order for complete hemogram, ESR and chest X-ray (PA view) to rule out lower respiratory tract infection. Retrosternal pain (breast bone pain) may be due to infection or due to acid reflux secondary to advil use. The above mentioned test will help your physicians differentiate the two condition. Since you also have history of type 1 diabetes, I recommend that you get these test at the earliest. You will also need to get your blood pressures rechecked since infection is known to affect blood sugar levels. Visit the ER or a low cost clinic and get the test done. In the interim, 1. Stop Advil 2. Start Prilosec OTC before food once a day along with Syp Mucaine gel 5ml three times a day. 3. Start tylenol tablets thrice a day after food. 4. Deep steam inhalation will also benefit you. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards