What is the cause and treatment for double vision?

I am having a vision problem. Seeing double or objects overlapping when I cover one eye the problem is resolved. I am 56 years old. prob. started about 5 days ago. What is the fee?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: This is binocular diplopia. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health Care Magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. It seems from the history that you are having double vision which started 5 days back and the problem of double vision disappearing on closing one eye. This is called as diplopia or double vision. Since the problem is present only on opening both the eyes and disappears on closing one eye this is binocular diplopia. The common causes for binocular diplopia are Paralytic squint which is caused by paralysis of one or more of the nerves supplying the exraocular muscles of the eye. The other conditions needs to be ruled out are Diabetes causing nerve palsies Thyroid eye disorders This requires further evaluation by a general ophthalmologist or preferably by a neuroophthalmologist/neurologist. The treatment of the condition is mainly medical and the usual investigations required are CT scan or MRI imaging studies. Hence advice you to consult your doctor for further examination and treatment accordingly. Hope I have answered your question and the answer is helpful to you. Thank you
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for double vision? 29 minutes later
My thyroid was damaged in 2009, resulting from radiation treatment of tongue cancer. My thyroid is completely damaged, I take 100 mg. of synthroid daily. Is this relevant where you talked about other conditions needing to be ruled out.? Thank you. Your previous answer was very helpful.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thyroid eye disease can also lead to diplopia. Detailed Answer: Hello Thank you for the followup query. The commonest cause is paralysis of nerves supplying the extraocular muscles as I had mentioned in the last answer. The other important causes are thyroid eye disease. It is because of thickening of the extraocular muscles leading to decreased mobility and movements. Since you are already taking synthyroid 100 mg daily this needs to be considered along with the above cause as a differential diagnosis. Thyroid blood tests and CT scan of the eye are helpful in diagnosing this condition. The thyroid hormones T3 and T4 will be decreased here and the thyroid stimulating hormone will be increased in this condition. The CT scan shows thickening of the extraocular muscles of the eye. A complete eye examination by a eye doctor to rule out paralytic squint and thyroid blood tests are required for you. Hence I advice you to consult your eye doctor and get back to me with the reports of the examination so that I can advice regarding further treatment. Thank you