What is the cause and treatment for delusional parasitosis?

Jun 2014

Dear Doctors, With very high hopes, I am hereby forwarding the case study of my Father as hereunder: My Father is suffering from a peculiar disease which is still un identified by few of the Doctors he has consulted. My biggest worry is that in absence of the identification of disease the right treatment has not started yet. He is 63 at present. The problem is from almost 5-6 Yrs and is getting more intense with time. He as a history of both BP & Diabetes but both under control. He feels that something is moving inside his entire body ( Out of the gastric track) The movement starts from any of the area such as both the side (lower & upper) of back, shoulders, lower abdomen, waist, arms, legs and limbs and from there to areas near temples to throat via sinus region and finally reaches the gastric track. Sometimes he feels that this movement in the entire body finally merges in the chest and creates pressure outside. The pressure exerted remains constant for some time and finally slows down with time. By movement he feels that some insect/worm or some sticky thing (Similar to coaltar ) is getting detached from the internal body part where it was attached. Both the cycle of experiences were accompanied with the strange pain, sensations, shivering and causes lot of weakness before the movement starts. Other symptoms I don’t know whether they are linked or not as here under: Constipation. Pain in hands and legs. Weakness. Has developed minor prostrate. Your advise will be of great help. Thanks & Regards, XXXX
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Delusional parasitosis Detailed Answer: HI Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query. I think, your father is suffering from delusional parasitosis. Delusional parasitosis, also known as Ekbom's syndrome is a form of psychosis in which patient acquire a strong delusional belief that they are infested with parasites, whereas in reality no such parasites are present. Patient feels that imaginary parasites or insects crawl on or under the skin. I think, your father has same problem. In his case, you should consult a psychiatrist rather than physician. In case, you need further help, you can ask. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for delusional parasitosis? 16 hours later
Sir, Thanks for your reply. I understood to the extent as the same is also tested in several stool tests he has tried and the report is -ive. As I have mentioned earlier that he feels some sticky thing like tarcol getting detached from the internal body parts accompanied with pain, uneasiness and now shivering has also started. My point is that the feeling insect/ sticky thing is ok but the pain/ uncomfort and shivering is something which he is feeling practically moreover he also feels the pressure build up under chest, throat etc like something has got stuck there to the extent that it becomes difficult for him to have food if he feels it in neck sometimes. and if it is delusional parasitosis then what is the remedy for it. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Antipsychotic drugs Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for trust on me. Delusional parasitosis is a psychological disorder in which all physical investigations would come normal. Number of patients in delusional parasitosis behave abnormally like feeling choking sensation because feeling of some insect stuck in throat, scratching body with sharp things, feel pain due to insects crawling under skin, some internal organ is getting damage due to insects etc. I think, same complaints are in your father. In his case, you should consult a psychiatrist for proper medication which include antipsychotic. For that, you have to consult a psychiatrist. These drugs are not available over the counter. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for delusional parasitosis? 51 minutes later
Dear Sir, Can you help me in treatement or can you advise a good Psychiatrist at Meerut or Jaipur. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: HI Without talking to patient, i can not prescribe medication. I can suggest a psychiatrist in Jaipur. Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX is most famous psychiatrist in Jaipur or you can go to SMS medical college Jaipur. In Meerut, i do not know any psychiatrist. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist