What is the cause and treatment for cubital tunnel syndrome?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have bilateral tingling in my pinky and ring finger but goes away when I shake them. This has been going on 2 weeks.. When I bend my right arm I get the tingling in those fingers again. I have no neck, back,shoulder, arm pain.. I do sometimes have elbow pain on the right side...I'm very active.... Triathlons and crossfit
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer: cubital tunnel syndrome. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From the description it seems that you are suffering from cubital tunnel syndrome. This condition may follow trauma or occur in association with processes which produce nerve enlargement or narrowing of the canal. Bsides a careful physical examination following investigations may be of some help depending on case to case basis Nerve conduction velocity test (NCV) ,Electromyography (EMG) Treatment:- - Avoiding aggravating factors like pressure on elbow - Avoiding full flexion - avoidance of pressure with elbow pads - Night splints to prevent elbow flexion - Avoidance of repetitive movements - nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for pain relief I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care

Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for cubital tunnel syndrome? 35 minutes later
Could you have this condition bilaterally?? Does is sound like a herniation of the cervical spine??When I bend my arms for a long period of time my hand begin to tingle.. Could you have a herniated disk with that ???

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 10 hours later
Brief Answer: This condition can occur bilaterally. Detailed Answer: Hi, This condition can occur bilaterally. It does not sound like herniation of cervical spine. Tingling in hand on prolonged bending of arm is not related to herniated disc.

Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for cubital tunnel syndrome? 28 hours later
My symptoms a relieved now with Ibprofen and methylprendsone... Now I have soreness on my left lower scapula... It increases on movement . It's not big time .. Feels like I slept wrong... But could it be involved with herniated disc or is it I just slept wrong??? Does not increase on movement on neck.. I still don't have neck pain.. I'm also on flexril...

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Most likely caused by a wrong sleeping posture. Detailed Answer: Hi Soreness on left lower scapula that you have described are likely to be due to a muscular pain most likely caused by a wrong sleeping posture. It not seems to be related to herniated disc.