What is the cause and treatment for cough with expectoration?

Hello, I'm a 60 year old man, leading a normal life. No medical history till date. BMI is 24. But, from past 3 months, I'm getting cough with sputum every hour. Additionally, I get sweat often which in turn causes itching. Smoking Habits: No Drinking Habits: No Coffee: 4 times a day Tea: 2 times a day 1. What might be the reason for this? 2. Please suggest me prescription to get over this? 3. And also suggest me diet to follow.
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: You need to be investigated Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through the query, I would like to comment the following: 1. You seem to be having cough with expectoration since 3 months. 2. A few possibilities for your cough could be - infective, allergic or GERD(Gastro esophageal reflux disease) induced cough. 3. You need to get investigated for this. Basic investigations include chest Xray and sputum examination. A PFT may also be required. 4. The exact management line can be decided after investigations. You need to get yourself evaluated clinically by a pulmonologist who can best decide your line of management as per your clinical evaluation. 5. However, I would plan a similar patient in my clinic, a 2 week course of antibiotic eg. cap. augmentin duo (Amoxicillin clavulinic acid) 625 mg thrice a day and cap. Pantoprazole 40 mg empty stomach in morning and then evaluate the reports and clinical response to antibiotics. 6. A special section on dietery recommendation is available on this site: WWW.WWWW.WW However you need to cut down on your tea and coffee intake as they are known to cause GERD which in turn is a common cause of chronic cough as in your case. I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologist 5.